PTUA treasurer Kerryn Wilmot has an opinion piece in the Business section of today’s Age, pointing out flaws in a report claiming economic benefits of the Eastlink tollway. You can read it on The Age web site: Fool’s gold at end of EastLink rainbow.
If you’re also concerned about the current freeway fetish and lack of commitment to sustainable alternatives, here are some actions you can take:
Write a letter to the daily or local suburban papers, eg:
- The Age: letterstheage.com.au
- Herald Sun: hslettershwt.newsltd.com.au
Ring talkback radio:
- ABC 774: Phone 1300 222 774. SMS 19 774 774.
- 3AW: (03) 96 900 693
Visit or write to your local state and federal MPs and candidates for the upcoming state election and call for:
- a moratorium on further freeway development, including the proposed east-west link, Greensborough ring-road and Healesville freeway
- expansion of the suburban train network to East Doncaster, Rowville, Baxter, Sunbury and South Morang/Mernda
- extending tram routes to meet nearby train services
- traffic light priority for buses and trams right across the network
- Commencement of a level crossing elimination program
- restoration of regional rail services to Mildura, Leongatha, Hamilton, Portland
Where to write:
- State MPs
- Federal MPs
- ALP election candidates
- Democrat election candidates
- Family First election candidates
- Green election candidates
- Liberal election candidates
If you’re not already a member, please consider joining the PTUA.