Stop The Tunnel
Public Meeting and BBQ
12pm Saturday 11th November
Royal Park Wetlands, Manningham St, West Parkville (Melway 29 C12)
MC: Rod Quantock
Speakers: Bob Brown (Greens), Dr Richard Di Natale (Greens candidate for Melbourne), Paul Mees (Transport Academic and Activist).
How to get there:
- Tram 59 along Flemington Road to Church Street, then walk along Manningham Street and Oak Street
- or Tram 57 to intersection of Racecourse Road
- or Upfield line train to Royal Park, then walk west across the park, or down Poplar Road to Oak Street
- or Upfield line train to Flemington Bridge, then cross Mt Alexander Road on footbridge and walk up Manningham Street and Oak Street
- By bike: Capital City Trail
- Limited car-parking only
Why oppose extension of the Eastern Freeway?
The Bracks government is considering a report on the extension of the Eastern Freeway through Fitzroy, Carlton, Parkville and Royal Park to City Link. This is said to include construction of a giant on/off ramp and flyover through the Royal Park Wetlands and would impinge directly upon West Parkville including the new residential development The Parkville Gardens (ex Games Village). The Northern Central City Corridor Study commissioned by Transport Minister Batchelor (but never released) found that extension of the Eastern Freeway could not be justified given that less than 13% of traffic off the freeway heads west. A train down the Eastern Freeway was recommended, and would do more to alleviate traffic congestion than any freeway extension ever could, by providing a genuine alternative to driving, for many residents in the area.